Do you ever feel when visiting Twitter all the people and trends you follow flows as fast as a burst of a fire hydrant? The drinking from the fire hydrant metaphor is so true especially when you mix in tweet content that is either
- not of interest
- click bait
One way to make Twitter to work for you is creating and/or following lists.
What are Twitter Lists?
Twitter Lists allow you to customize, organize and prioritize the Tweets you see in your timeline. You can choose to join Lists created by others on Twitter, or from your own account you can choose to create Lists of other accounts by group, topic or interest.
How to Create a List
- Click on Lists in the navigation bar
- Click the Create New List icon at the top.
- Choose a name for your List, and a short description of the List. List names cannot exceed 25 characters, nor can they begin with a number. Then select if you want the List to be private (only accessible to you) or public (anyone can follow the List).
- Click Next
- You can then search for people and add people to your List.
How to Follow Other People’s List
- Tap the more icon … on an account’s profile.
- Tap View Lists
- Select which List you’d like to follow.
- From the List page, click or tap Follow to follow to the List. You can follow Lists without following the individual accounts in that List.
Why Twitter Lists are Important?
- Customize and prioritize based on your interests.
- Extremely easy to view updated information, tweets, trends based on your curated list.
- Eliminates the social media noise allowing you to focus on what you want to read and/or learn.
- You can share your list with your colleagues and/or organization.
- Promote your organization’s tweets.